Wednesday 4 September 2013

A Day Out In London Town . . .

I haven't managed to get up to London for quite a while but today I put that right and had a lovely relaxing few hours in town.

I had two main things I wanted to do and I achieve them both easily. Firstly  I wanted to attend Mass at Westminster Cathedral and then to have a potter in the Catholic bookshops nearby.

I have so many photos of the Cathedral I didn't bother taking one today but I wish I had done so as it was such a glorious day.  As the saying goes, 'here's one I took earlier'. A very grey day, what a shame.



On previous trips I've usually managed to reach the cathedral just in time to see the 'Hawk Man' walking away with his charge but today not only was he in  full view but they were both very happy to pose for a photo or two.


And what a splendid hawk he is too . . .


I managed a good 'haul' in the CTS Bookshop plus a few bits and pieces in St Paul's so made my way home fairly early to enjoy some of the sunshine at home.

Some of the very useful booklets I bought for the parish:



We pass this iconic building every trip but I still think it is majestic.


Not bad taken from a moving train and through a far-from-clean window.  I love travelling on the train by myself, especially in the middle of the day when  it's quiet and I can sit and day dream.  I especially enjoy the transition from city grime to the green belt of the Surrey suburbs.

Nearly home here . . .


As I exit the station at my home stop the first thing that greets me is the bell tower of the local church.



They still ring the Angelus bell here and it's lovely to hear it at home on a quiet day, especially in the warm weather when the windows are open - it's as clear as a bell! (sorry, I couldn't resist that!)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had a lovely day out in London , great photos too , thanks