Wednesday 13 October 2010

Thanks be to God . . .


I was not sleeping very well last night and as I often do when I find myself in this situation, I switched on our bedside radio. It was just before 4am and I managed to catch the rescue of the first Chilean miner live on the news channel. What an emotional moment! I was glued to the radio for quite some time, reluctant to switch off as I listened to the scenes of utter joy from all concerned. What an amazing achievement for all those involved.

As it was my day off today, I was able to watch some of the coverage on the TV News Channel and see the pictures to match the words.

I was amused to see the pictures of the statue of San Lorenzo (St Lawrence, Patron Saint of Miners) bedecked with miner's safety lamp and helmet. I think in the photo above, the hat gives him more than a passing resemblance to Boy George!

It was touching to see and hear mention of the miners' faith. Claudio Mario Gonzalez, the ninth to be rescued, pictured below was not the only one to sink to his knees in thanksgiving on reaching the surface.

Thanks be to God that so far all has gone to plan and we pray that the remaining miners will be safely reunited with their loved ones.

By the way, after hearing the fantastic news I slept like a top until my alarm went off all too soon this morning after my nocturnal news fest!

No comments: