Friday 2 December 2011

The Angelus . . .


I always consider myself very fortunate in that we can hear the Angelus bell of our local church from inside our house.

This evening ours was a very quiet household, not that we're particularly noisy at the best of times. I was sitting at the computer, the Pater Familias was similarly quiet and Our Eldest was not yet home from work.

6pm and the bell rang out clearly three times. Occasionally I also hear it at midday on my day off if I'm at home or in the garden or walking around locally.

I love this sound. It sums up so much for me in just the three rings of the bell.

I love that it reminds me of the continuity of our faith. I always picture the famous Millet painting of the workers in the field pausing in their work to pray this simple prayer.

I too, can easily pause in whatever I am doing to spend the few minutes it takes to pray the Angelus prayer.

I was prompted to do a little research as I know very little about the origins of the Angelus.

The prayer in the form we know it today dates from the first half of the Sixteenth Century but the practice of reciting the Hail Mary three times in a row daily dates from at least the Twelfth Century. St Anthony of Padua strongly recommended it, and St Bonaventure, amongst others.

The ringing of a bell was introduced at this time so that all the faithful would know that after Compline it was time to recite the Hail Mary.

Pope Sixtus IV in 1475 endowed the recitation of the Angelus at noon with an indulgence, and this was extended by Pope Leo X to those who recited it in the morning, at noon and in the evening.

It is of course particularly relevant during Advent as we prepare for Our Lord's coming at Christmas as it is a devotion based on the Annunciation, the message of the Incarnation delivered by the Angel to Mary.

No comments: