Wednesday 9 March 2011

Ash Wednesday Walk . . .

Wednesday is my day off and I try and fit in a walk if I possibly can. I can definitely recommend it if you're struggling with fasting today. It's a great way to take your mind off thinking about all the lovely food you could be eating, if only it wasn't Ash Wednesday!

I walked with a friend around about the Colley Hill area in Surrey.


Unfortunately it was rather hazy today so this photo doesn't really do justice to the magnificent view from the top of Reigate Hill.


Nearly at our destination - the tea hut at the top of Reigate Hill, and we stopped for a breather at the Inglis Memorial. This 'folly' was originally a drinking fountain for horses. This would have been the main route over Reigate Hill at one time. It has a magnificent mosaic ceiling picturing the Signs of the Zodiac.


After a refreshing 'cuppa' we made our way back home. I couldn't resist a snap of this sign as we passed by. I assume the Adders referred to are not a bunch of dangerous accountants lurking in the field to pounce on unsuspecting walkers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pics and the bit of history. A