Saturday 24 September 2011

Harvest Sunday . . .


According to our Diocesan Directory, tomorrow is Harvest Sunday.

I don't how this is remembered in your area but I always feel it's a bit of a non-event somehow.

I was brought up in the Anglican tradition with great emphasis put on our annual parish Harvest Supper; a church building where every possible nook and cranny was crammed with some sort of natural produce.

Even though it was an urban parish, it really was an amazing sight to a youngster who came from a family where food was always adequate but not usually abundant.

To see real sheaves of corn and the amazing skill of local bakers who had lovingly produced the huge (to my eyes) harvest loaves in the shape of sheaves of corn and 'cottage' loaves appetisingly placed on windowsills that were just out of reach (probably just as well) was an absolute delight.

And what Harvest Festival Sunday Eucharist was complete without 'We Plough the Fields and Scatter' sung with great gusto by all present.

I remember my first experience of a Harvest Sunday in a Catholic Church and was struck by the contrast between the celebration of Harvest today and my childhood memories. It was hardly marked at all. Perhaps a reference in the Prayers of Intercession but I don't think there was any other reference to giving thanks to God for his bountiful provision for us through his creation.

Perhaps it has changed in the Anglican church too.

3 comments:

kee said...

Yes, I share your disappointment in the non-celebration of Harvest time in most Catholic parishes. I've always admired the way it is celebrated by other denominations.
It's strange because the Church year had always been deeply entwined with rural life in other ways e.g. Feast days were often the only days-off/holidays for many country people.

Peter Simpson said...

The most I have ever seen in a Catholic parish is a few sheaves of wheat and a few bunches of grapes to remind us where the bread and wine to be offered up at the altar come from. We should surely invite people to bring some of the produce of their gardens - tomatoes, runner beans, and plums etc. to give thanks to the Lord of Creation. These can then be given to housebound members of the congregation when they are visited with Holy Communion. It wouldn't take much imagination to organise a meaningful celebration of harvest. We don't have to turn the altar into a greengrocers stall!

Idle Rambler said...

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that the celebration of Harvest is rather underplayed in many Catholic parishes.

Yes, I remember in years gone by, the offerings that were brought to the church for Harvest Festival being made up into parcels for the housebound and those in need.