Thursday 18 April 2013

New guidelines for the Celebration of the Sacred Liturgy in the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham . . .

It's my day off today and I just checked my Facebook news feed (as you do :-)) and what jumped out at me was the link to the new Guidelines for the Celebration of the Sacred Liturgy in the Ordinariate.

I'm off out to meet a friend for coffee and a catch-up session (again, the way you do!) but I had to just quickly skim the text of the guidelines as I had a feeling it would be good news.

Very briefly, a few points that stood out for me;

  • The celebration of the Mass Ad Orientem is commended where the dynamic of the building allows for it.
  • The Roman Canon is highly commended for use, not just on Sundays or solemnities.
This one, is a particular bug bear of mine so three cheers for the Ordinariate;
  • "Preserving silence and due reverence before the tabernacle, and in the Church before and after liturgical worship is the duty of both the clergy and the faithful."
  • The public, sung celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours before Mass and other times.
  • Confession available before Mass.
  • The Lectionary to be used is the RSV (Catholic, Second Edition) unless the congregation is predominantly a diocesan one.

And so much more . . .  You can read it all here.

I'll digest it all later but my first impressions are that the Ordinariate 'really get it!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It would seem to me that is the congregation is predominantly a diocesan one then the RSV should be used. Presumably they are there because it is an ordinariate service and so the RSV is part of what they're looking for, if not the KJB.

Idle Rambler said...

Francesco, I take your point but as many Ordinariate groups are based in diocesan parishes, I would imagine that there might be a large number of diocesan parishioners attending a particular Mass in the Ordinariate rite for a variety of reasons.