Saturday 28 November 2009

Preparations . . .

Advent is amongst other things, a time of preparation; a chance for us to examine our lives and make ourselves ready (or as ready as we possibly can be) to greet Our Lord on the wonderful Feast of the Nativity.

Of course there is a lot to be done to prepare spiritually. Around this time in our parish, and in many others, we have a Service of Reconciliation with an opportunity for Confession. These services are generally well attended and a great help in getting us into the proper frame of mind for Christmas.

More on the spiritual preparations later, when Advent begins on Sunday. . .

In our house, preparation also involves preparing for Advent by going into our loft and searching out all the materials for our Advent wreath. Generally Number One Son helps out here. Only when I’ve sorted through the boxes and bags and re-discovered the candles, the oasis ring and a few decorations to augment the greenery do I allow myself to even contemplate the Christmas Season.

Anyone who’s been following my musings for a while will remember my difficulty with obtaining pink candles last year. Secure in the knowledge that I now have enough to last several years (!) I shall have an enjoyable stroll around our little garden at the weekend, secateurs in hand, to collect greenery for the wreath and enjoy putting it together in time to light the first candle on Sunday. Pictures to follow, I hope.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I do remember the pink candle. I'm so happy that it's that time of the year. have fun trying to find things for the reeth

Victor S E Moubarak said...

"Around this time in our parish, and in many others, we have a Service of Reconciliation with an opportunity for Confession. These services are generally well attended and a great help in getting us into the proper frame of mind for Christmas."

We have these services in our church too. I attended last Easter and the church was totally full - standing room only. I didn't realise we had that many sinners in town!

Oh well ... at least I'm not alone in needing forgiveness.