Thursday 9 June 2011

Anticipating Pentecost . . .



One of the benefits (of course they are many and immeasurable) I've noticed from being in the fortunate position of being able to attend daily Mass is that I'm much more aware of the passage of the liturgical year.

It's gradually dawned on me this week, for example, how many references there are during the Mass to the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, the solemnity which of course we celebrate on Sunday. It's apparent, not just in the readings but also in the prayers, and in a similar way, in the Divine Office.

" This is the word of Jesus: it is best for me to leave you; because if I do not go,
the Spirit will not come to you, alleluia." (Today's Communion Antiphon)

I know it must be obvious to most people, but it makes sense!

In the past, for me, it was a case of attending Mass on Sunday for the Feast of the Ascension (although of course, it was on Thursday in the past!) and then, 'bingo', turn up for Mass again the following Sunday and we're suddenly celebrating the Feast of Pentecost and the descent of the Holy Spirit and, it could be said, the birth of the Church.

Of course you can always pray at home and read the readings of the day but I think it is much more obvious when you are actually present at Mass.

Lord God,
let your Spirit come upon us in power
and fill us with his gifts,
to render our minds pleasing to you,
and make us docile to your will.
(We make our prayer) through our Lord.

(Concluding Prayer from today's Morning Prayer)

No comments: