Wednesday 13 August 2008

Holy musings!

For the sake of anyone who bothers to look at this blog regularly, I'd thought I'd give you a break from the daily report on how the garden work is getting on!

I was thinking the other day, ' I wonder who the Patron Saint of Secretaries would be?' It would be quite useful to know who in particular I could invoke when the computer freezes or I accidentally delete a file that has taken me ages to write!

A quick look on Google came up with two suggestions; St Catherine of Siena or St Genesius (Who? I can hear you say!).

I think most of us have heard of St Catherine but I must admit St Genesius was a new one on me. He is also apparently Patron Saint of Actors, Comedians, Dancers, Epilepsy and Lawyers (Spot the link, anyone? I'm not sure I can). An actor from 3rd Century Rome who was converted to Christianity whilst portraying in a play a catechumen about to be baptised. He was beheaded for his pains by the Emperor Diocletian when he persisted in his faith.

Of the two suggestions, I think I'll plump for St Catherine. She is also the Patron Saint of Artists, Nurses and Philosophers. She ranks high among the mystics and spiritual writers of the Church and was declared a Doctor of the Church by Pope Paul VI.

What really 'sold' her to me though is that, in recent years, she has been suggested (along with many others) as patron of the Internet!


St Catherine - Pray for us

No comments: