Sunday 11 January 2009

The End of the Christmas Season


We took our crib down today as it's the end of the Christmas Season.

Our crib was given to us by my mother and so it has an extra special significance for us, apart from the obvious one.

Each year it comes down from the loft and the figures are carefully unwrapped from their protective scraps of cloth. We've been doing this since the children were small - quite a few years now - and they are still wrapped in a motley assortment of scraps of material; fake fur (? no idea where that would have come from in my mother's house!), felt oddments and old table napkins. I haven't the heart to exchange these oddments for bubble wrap or other protection - they are part and parcel of our family crib now.

Each year at the end of Christmas the same process is undertaken in reverse. I'm always reminded of the carol we used to sing at school, (Lullaby Carol?)

'... See the fur to keep you warm, snugly round your tiny form

Gosh, I didn't realise I could be so sentimental!

No comments: