Friday 9 January 2009

It's in the genes, I'm sure !

I have a thing about scarves/pashminas/wraps the way some women have a thing about shoes or handbags. No matter how many I accumulate, there's always room for another one and whenever I’m out shopping you can guarantee I’ll see another that I must have of a different colour, design or material.

I’m convinced that shopping is part of the female genetic make-up. Why is it, I wonder, that the ‘shopping gene’ is so dominant in the female of the species and so recessive in the male - almost to the point of being non-existent!

No matter how busy we are, if a friend suggests going for a coffee and a bit of window shopping, most of my female friends wouldn’t hesitate more than a few minutes before gladly changing their plans and going along. In the same way, I suspect most males would rather have teeth pulled without an anaesthetic.

Of course like all generalisations I acknowledge that there are exceptions and I do know women who loathe shopping in any form and vice versa.

Strange, how the idea of doing the weekly supermarket shop doesn’t have quite the same appeal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really Miss Ellen ........so good to see part of your collection ; do I see Armani labels there !!

Idle Rambler said...

I wish!!