Friday 9 April 2010

A little flutter or a little footie . . .


I'm neither Irish nor much interested in horse-racing but even I have noticed that tomorrow is the day of the Grand National. I mention the Irish factor as most of the horses seem to have either Irish riders, trainers or owners, or in some cases all three.

Being female, I'm much more interested in who was wearing what on Lady's Day at Aintree today.

Typically, I would always choose a horse to back by its name rather than by form - I did say I was not really into horse-racing!

Looking at the card for this year's National, I suppose the obvious choice for Catholics must be 'Preists Leap'. Strange spelling!

Apparently the horse was named after the legend of a priest ambushed by brigands on an escarpment in Kerry. Cornered, he turned his horse towards Bantry and jumped. "In the town there's some rock, with four hoof marks where the horse landed," trainer Tom O'Leary explained. "Only it's four miles from the mountain."

By the way, the odds were 66/1 at the time of writing.


I'll be focusing on the FA Cup semi-final on Sunday, especially as Number 2 Son managed to get a ticket for Wembley.

2 comments:

Dominic Mary said...

And there were we thinking we'd see you at Blackfen . . !

Idle Rambler said...

I'm working in the morning and then an afternoon of domestic chores. I'm sure it will be a great occasion at Blackfen.