Saturday 16 July 2011

Alien invaders . . .



Standing chatting to my friend outside our house after our walk on Thursday, (the way only women can, even though they've been together chatting for the past few hours anyway!) my friend pointed to the top of a neighbour's beech tree and commented, 'Oh, no, look at that. Looks like we're being visited by green parakeets'

Straining my eyes I could make out what she was looking at perched at the top of the tree, and, as the bird flew away, I heard the squawking cry.

Over the last couple of days, as I've left or returned to the house, sure enough the new arrivals are definitely still around.

I had heard that these noisy invaders were not particularly welcome but wasn't sure why so I did a bit of 'googling' to find out.

Apart from the fact that they dominate the bird feeders in our gardens, I can imagine their squawking can soon become quiet annoying.

It's early days yet, so I'm reserving judgement until they chase away all the smaller birds from our garden.

They made a lovely splash of colour at any rate.

No comments: