Sunday 10 July 2011

On the reception of Holy Communion . . .


I was very interested to see this item on the web site of the Diocese of Westminster on Friday. It is a note about a pastoral letter from Archbishop Nichols to be read/played at all the parishes in the Diocese this weekend.

In his pastoral letter, Archbishop Nichols talks about how we should receive Holy Communion. Obviously a particularly appropriate time for such a letter coming hot on the heels of First Holy Communions in many parishes, not just in Westminster but across England and Wales.

Above all Archbishop Nichols stresses the importance of reverence for the Blessed Sacrament.

He mentions that the liturgical norm is to receive Holy Communion in the hand and standing but also mentions that it is acceptable to receive on the tongue and kneeling

To me at least, the letter seems quite even-handed about this and if I were hearing the letter today, I would certainly not feel that I was being awkward or a nuisance if I wished to receive Holy Communion kneeling and on the tongue, even if in a minority in the parish. Not that anyone is made to feel this way in our parish, I hasten to add, but I gather that this does happen occasionally elsewhere.

I also like the fact that it is clearly stated that "Those who are not able to receive Holy Communion continue to share in that fruit, as expressed in the blessing they receive. They receive Christ in a spiritual communion."

You can read the complete letter here together with very helpful footnotes.

No comments: