Tuesday 8 December 2009

All honour to you, Mary! . . .


Well, it may not be a Holy Day of Obligation in England and Wales but we certainly had more than usual at our morning Mass today, and we were fortunate to have our organist available to play for us and we sang two beautiful Marian hymns. It really felt like a Feast Day.

The first reading today of the fall of Adam always makes me smile to myself. I expect that's probably not the expected reaction but it always makes me think of young children in the playground. When challenged for doing something they shouldn't, the first child says, 'it's not my fault, he made me do it' and this is repeated by the next child and so it goes on . . .

What a contrast between this reading and the Gospel telling the story of the Annunciation. A reading that is so familiar but never fails to move me whenever I hear it.

Sorry, this post is rather disjointed, I just wanted to try and put down in words some of my musings on today's feast. I hope you all had a Blessed Feast Day.

4 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you dear Mary, Mother of God for trusting Him and saying YES when you were visited by the Angel Gabriel.

Despite your fears of ridicule and possible persecution by society in those days, who would not have tolerated an unmarried woman becoming pregnant; despite the real possibility of being stoned for claiming that the unborn Child is the Son of God, a heresy in those days, you still had Faith in God and said YES.

Thank you. Ave Maria.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pic of Mary.

Mary said...

You know for the last few days I have been trying to podcast However I keep forgetting the name of your blog. I know that is Miss Ellen E but I always for get the name. So I have had to say some one other then your blog. one of these days I will say your blog on my podcast. When I remeber it. :)

Idle Rambler said...

Oh Mary, I'm sorry I've chosen a difficult name for you to remember!
My blog, as you can see, is called 'A Miscellany of Musings'.

Never mind, it's kind of you to think of giving me a name check.