Monday 5 May 2008

Spring is here at last


Today was one of those glorious sunny days we sometimes get in May with the promise, not always fulfilled, of long hazy summer days to come.

Not wishing to waste the day by spending it all indoors I went out for a short walk locally as I knew I had other things to do later in the afternoon. I do find that when I'm feeling a bit lethargic, a short walk can be quite energising. I was also delighted to find that the coffee shop overlooking the pond was open and doing a roaring trade in ice-creams.

Just a few miles from the busy M25 and yet it feels as if you are in 'real countryside' on days like this. People out enjoying the Bank Holiday; it's not often that good weather and public holidays coincide. Lots of families out for a walk and plenty of people on bikes too. It's on days like this that it makes me wonder why we hanker after expensive holidays on the other side of the world when we have 'all this' right on our doorstep. I suppose it's easy to forget the other side of the coin which is the endless number of grey, damp days that often typify a British summer.

Hey ho, the sun lifts everybody's spirits though, doesn't it?

No comments: