Saturday 3 May 2008

Link to the past

I was looking at another blog recently and my eye was caught by the name of a blog listed on the author's sidebar. Thoughts from Walney Island.

Not a place that you hear about very often but Walney Island is in fact where we were living when our younger son was born.

A was working on the Morecombe Bay Gas project at the time and we spent a very happy year on Walney Island which is part of Cumbria. I spent many pleasant hours pushing a pram around the island; such a small place that you could easily walk from end to end in a very short while and around the coast. Usually whenever I mention Walney to anybody, they say, 'where??' Being a 'Southerner' born and bred and having spent most of my life in the South East, I too had never heard of Walney before we moved up there.

Naturally I was curious to see what was happening in Walney today and it was very interesting to hear about the parish church that we had attended nearly 25 years ago. Good to learn everything is going well 'oop North'.

3 comments:

Míċeál said...

An excellent blog.....keep it going. You 'fit in' better in the South, I can't imagine you 'oop North'. Look forward to hearing more !

GhostOfTomJoad said...

tbh i wouldn't have recognised the name Walney Island and apparently i was born there!

Idle Rambler said...

ghostoftomjoad

Well, I wouldn't expect you to remember much as the actual Maternity unit was in Barrow but I well remember the frantic dash from Walney to Barrow to get there in time so that you were not actually born on the island itself!