Thursday 31 July 2008

Computers ...




We're getting a new computer in the office so I spent a large part of my day there backing up files to an external hard drive, staring at a screen similar to the one in the picture watching files flying from left to right at varying speeds. It's quite mesmerising so you need to take a break now and again! It took ages because the reason we are replacing the existing PC is because it is getting old and slow and bits don't work as well as they should, or even in some cases, not at all. A bit like us really, as we grow older.

This got me to thinking. Sometimes people refer to a year in a dog's life being equivalent to 7 years in a human's life. I wonder how many 'human years' make up a year in the life of a computer? The office computer is only about 5 years old. If we take the biblical idea of a man's life being 3 score years and ten and do the arithmetic, then that makes a 'computer year' equivalent to 14 human years! Just a thought.

2 comments:

Míċeál said...

You've done a splendid job and I cannot thank you enough.....THANK YOU

Idle Rambler said...

Aw, shucks, you know I don't count that as WORK, it's all great FUN!