Wednesday 23 July 2008

A day off ...

Today being Wednesday, it's my day off. As per usual I had a mental list of all the things that I wanted to do today (often the same things each week) - have a bit of a walk to get some exercise, do a bit of work in the garden and try and empty the ironing basket! Sometimes I add, meet a friend for coffee and do some shopping. All very humdrum things. Well two out of three isn't bad so I think I did quite well today.

After a walk I got stuck into some gardening. Loads to do and I never seem to make much of an impact despite my best efforts.

I think my geraniums have done very well whilst we've been away. I decided a few years ago just to fill a few pots with geraniums as they seem to thrive on neglect - and they get plenty of that!

I avoided the temptation to sit down before I began working.

After a couple of hours though, I think I deserved a little coffee break.

Fuchsias are another plant that need very little looking after, I've found.

I'm really pleased with this dahlia. I only planted it last year and it seems to have established very well. Amazing considering the dreadful soil and lack of preparation before I just 'dug and hole and threw it in' last year.

Well, that's my day off for this week. Hopefully I'll get into the garden to do a bit more work before next Wednesday but there always seems to be something more important somehow!

3 comments:

Lil said...

Your garden is lovely,very adventurous and exotic blooms - for us!
Lil

Idle Rambler said...

Thanks, I've only photographed the good bits! Yes, funny isn't it - what are exotic flowers to us are commonplace to you, and vice versa.

Míċeál said...

What beautiful flowers Cindy, have you thought about a stand in Chelsea, it's over for this year sadly. But my eyes 'feasted' on the coffee and cake.....very tempting. So, the advice is to continue 'neglecting' the flowers !!