Sunday 28 September 2008

'Indian Summer'



I think you could say that we've been experiencing a little bit of an 'Indian Summer' lately. Now although I know in general terms what people mean when they talk about an 'Indian Summer' I've never been quite sure whether they mean an 'Indian Summer' or an 'Indian Summer', if you see what I mean!

Well, what do you do when you want to find something out? As any 5 year old will tell you, 'you google it'! So that is what I did.

For any other 'sad' people like myself who are interested: First of all it refers to a period of warm weather lasting a few days and occurring at least a week after the vernal equinox (see my earlier post on the last day of summer, folks!)

Secondly it doesn't in fact refer to the weather of the sub continent pictured on the right above but to the North American Indians (sorry, Native Americans) and it was actually there that the saying originated in the late 18th century - so there!!

All right children, you may put away your books and go out to play now!!

No comments: