Saturday 28 February 2009

Followers ...

I'm a bit ambivalent about this latest innovation from Blogger/Google. I still haven't made my mind up about Followers. I think I must just be one of these people who take a long time to get used to new ideas - or maybe it's as I've got older!

One of the attractions of blogging for me, and I suspect for others too, is the anonymity of it. Even though friends and family or anyone who knows me well, would easily be able to identify me from my blog, it's good to be able to retain a little anonymity in not using my real name and a lot of bloggers do this, presumably for similar reasons.

I follow several blogs and it's good to be able to see at a glance when they're updated but mostly I like to follow anonymously. I've noticed that our children's generation don't have such reservations about privacy. I was very wary of Facebook at first and the idea of actually putting my photo up on the internet was quite difficult for me. Now, however, I don't bat an eyelid so maybe, I'll be following all sorts of blogs publicly soon and saying, 'who cares who knows what interests me!'

3 comments:

Mary said...

MISS ELLEN E

I was the same way at first. I don't know but I think i was apart of the last group of people that didn't like to put to much info on the net. If it makes you happy I don't even bill pay on the net. To much info out there. So I can see what you are talking about.

The more I get on the net and know were I am and people who might be following me, I'm a bit more ok with it. if you see I still use the bear as my pic in some places .

Idle Rambler said...

Thanks, Mary, good to know I'm not the only one who has a few reservations.

Mary said...

Oh no. If you would like to know something really funny. I work at a bank and I had never goon through a drive throw. I was one of those people that had to given my mony to the teller. Now that I have worked at the bank for 10 years I had to learn and I did.Yet ATM's still get the better of me. :)