Thursday 16 April 2009

An uninvited guest . . .

We had an uninvited guest to supper last night. Yes, Nasonovia ribis-nigri (or, Nas, as we like to call him), turned up quite unexpectedly on number 1 son's plate half-way through our meal. The common lettuce aphid he may be but he's not common in our household, believe me.


As I was saying, half-way through our meal number 1 son suddenly commented, 'Hello, that's not supposed to be there!' Cool as a cucumber (whilst we're on a salad theme) - If Nas had made an appearance on my plate it would have been more a case of, 'scream, somebody get that thing off my plate!'

I must admit, I've got very lazy about washing bagged salad, especially as it says it's pre-washed.

It doesn't show very well in the picture but what I was trying to take a picture of was the label saying, 'washed and ready for dressing' I wonder, just what is the well-dressed lettuce aphid wearing this season?

No comments: