Thursday 20 August 2009

Who'd have thought it? . . .

It's been a great few days for sport recently.

I'm definitely in the category of 'armchair sports fan'. The Pater Familias, when describing his attitude to sport says, 'I'm a doer not a watcher' - I, on the other hand have to admit to being very much a 'watcher not a doer' but I'm still enthusiastic about many sports.

It was exciting listening to Usain Bolt's amazing 100 metre run in Berlin recently and then again this evening when he broke another world record. We've had Andy Murray doing well in the tennis and the football team Number Two Son (both a 'doer' and a 'watcher') supports winning 5-1 last night plus newly promoted Burnley beating the Champions Man U!

Today saw the beginning of the final Ashes Test at The Oval. I'm always surprised when I hear of certain people being cricket fans - no reason to be, I know - I'm probably a very unlikely looking fan to anybody who knows me! Stephen Fry being keen on cricket seems quite natural - but Lily Allen? (pictured above at The Oval, courtesy of BBC Sport's website).

That's one of the things I like about cricket - it appeals to all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons.

No comments: