Tuesday 24 August 2010

Feast of St Bartholomew . . .


The day's nearly over but I did want to just put down a few of my thoughts on today's feast day.

Although, strictly speaking, it wasn't anything to do with St Bartholomew in particular that struck me at Mass this morning but the First Reading which was taken from the Book of the Apocalypse.

Like many of our saints, you get a line or two in the Missal which includes something like, 'little is known for certain about St . . . '

He was born at Cana and brought by the Apostle Philip to meet Jesus. He is usually identified with Nathanael which is presumably why we have the Gospel reading today from John which mentions Nathanael's meeting with Jesus.

No, what I wanted to mention was my reaction to the First Reading. What amazing descriptive passages we hear from the author. The imagery is so vivid and so detailed you can really imagine this 'City of the Lamb' that is being described.

I searched hard to find some good illustrations and I do like the one at the top of this post as it has that ethereal quality that belongs to a vision or a revelation.

No comments: