Tuesday 24 August 2010

One million copies of Papal Liturgies published . . .

I'm sure you've all see the item on the Papal Visit web site about the publication of one million copies of the booklet for parishes containing the texts for the public liturgies during the Papal Visit. The booklet has been published by the Bishops' Conference in conjunction with Gabriel Communications and Magnificat.

What interested me particularly was this note at the end of the news item,

"With this special issue for the Papal Visit, and beginning on a monthly basis in November, it is available for the first time with readings, texts and calendar appropriate for the British Isles."

Hooray! I don't know about other bloggers in England and Wales, but one of my pet peeves (I must admit, I do have few . . . ) is that there are so many marvellous resources 'out there' but nearly always you find the texts are those used by the USCCB.

I really like the convenience of iBreviary, iMissal etc. on my iPhone but I do wish that the texts of the prayers, psalms and so forth were the same as the ones that I am familiar with and have grown to love. I know it's only minor differences but it really grates to be saying, for example,

'Lord, now you let your servant go in peace . . ' as the opening line of the Nunc Dimittis rather than the familiar, 'At last, all-powerful Master . . . '

I have used the Magnificat booklet when on holiday in France and found it very helpful. When the introduction of the English version was heralded a while ago, I eagerly looked at the first edition thinking how useful it would be for people who didn't have their own Missal or Breviary but was disappointed to find it wasn't using the texts for England and Wales so would be quite confusing for parishioners trying to use it to follow public prayer such as Morning Prayer which we say before Mass every weekday in our parish.

I look forward to seeing the new and revised edition in November.

1 comment:

St John's, Horsham said...

Hear, hear. Totally agree ... Let's pray that this dream'll become a reality.