Monday 5 July 2010

'But you," he said, "who do you say I am? . . . '


Like many homes, I expect, we have certain areas where you'll find a collection of prayer cards and other similar 'holy cards' tucked behind picture frames or other suitable resting places, maybe next to a Palm Cross.

When we had our old kitchen ripped out to make way for our splendid new one, I naturally had to take down everything on the walls beforehand.

I'm only just getting around to sorting out the various pictures and other things that adorned the walls and deciding which if any of them will be allowed to grace the newly-painted walls.

In amongst the prayer cards was a yellowing scrap of paper cut out of an old newspaper (I can't remember which one now, it was quite some time ago).

This always makes me smile which is why I've kept it. This is what is says:

Jesus said to them: "Who do you say that I am?"

And they replied: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the kerygma of which we find the ultimate meaning in our interpersonal relationships."

And Jesus said: "What?"

3 comments:

Big Brother said...

I meant to write that down when I saw it on your wall, but forgot! So thank you for repeating it - brilliant.

breadgirl said...

Hello Miss Ellen E
Thanks for this lovely little gem. It really does lift the spirits and bring a smile to the day. Thanks for sharing and God bless you.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

"What?"

Can you imagine if Peter had answered Jesus like that?

Brilliant quotation. Thanx.

I like your collection of images.

God bless.