Tuesday 30 June 2009

Guilt-free couch potato . . .


I'm not interested in tennis most of the year but like lots of people I do like to watch Wimbledon if I have a chance. I expect some serious tennis fans don't think much of people like me who suddenly get interested in the sport for two weeks in the year and just as quickly forget all about it but I don't mind.

It's not just the actual tennis, it's everything that goes with it; the reappearance of the stars of my 'yoof' reincarnated as commentators (the likes of John McEnroe and Boris Becker are still great entertainment); the endless discussions about the weather and examining the clouds - will it or won't it rain? This year we've have had the added question - will we get to see the roof in action?

Then there's the tennis fashions - who's wearing what this year? Another point for discussion seems to be who can 'grunt' the loudest? Sounds more like a scream to me sometimes! Either way, I'm not a fan.

And don't forget the strawberries and cream. You just have to indulge at this time of year. (At least that's what I tell myself!)

Best of all, it's one of the few times of the year when it's perfectly acceptable to say you spent hours slouched in front of the TV.

In fact it's one of the few times in the year when I actually want to sit in front of the TV - most of the year, I'm a radio fan.

Can't wait for the Ashes to start next!!

No comments: