Sunday 24 January 2010

Go forth and blog . . . .

Many Catholic bloggers have commented on the Holy Father's recent comments about the 'new media' and his encouragement to priests to embrace these new forms of communication (including blogs) and to use them in their ministry to spread the Word and to uphold the teaching of the Church. Fr Tim Finigan, as to be expected, has an excellent post on the subject.

In fact, most of the blogs that I follow have commented in some way. I won't link to all of them here but you can see what I mean by a glance at my Blog List.

I just wanted to add a few words from a different perspective. As a lay person, since I discovered the 'blogosphere', I have gained so much from reading blogs, both those of 'blogging clergy' and laity.

I have been introduced to aspects of my faith and the teaching of the Church that I doubt if I would ever have come across otherwise. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would say this, so I would like to record my thanks to all those who take the time in what is usually a very busy life to write a blog. The Holy Father, as usual, is spot-on!

If ever you feel, it's not worthwhile, your time could be better used doing something else; who reads it anyway? or any other discouraging thoughts, I assure you that there will always be someone who has gained a lot by your posting.

Finally, as well as the many excellent, learned blogs by priests, religious and laity, I also think there is a place for blogs from what I call 'simple, ordinary Catholics' like myself. Just by seeing that other people have the same struggles and difficulties, the same joys and hopes, and that they are trying to live their faith in their every day life, is also beneficial. It's good to know you're not alone.

OK, enough rambling now.

4 comments:

breadgirl said...

Hello Miss Ellen

You are right - it does get a bit discouraging sometimes. So, thanks for this post, which is a bit of a 'pick-me-up', as my dear Dad used to say. Hopefully, we bloggers help and encourage one another. God bless you.

Idle Rambler said...

Welcome breadgirl and thanks for your comment. Glad you found something helpful in my ramblings :-)

breadgirl said...

Good Morning Miss Ellen E

Last night I posted this on my blog in reply to your comment. However, in case you didn't get back to see it, I thought I would post it here as well.

Thanks for passing on a link to your Welsh friend. If they are doing Welsh holy sites, they might like to visit some of the sites associated with St David Lewis, e.g. Llantarnam where he was arrested, Usk where he was martyred and is buried. They can find lots of details in various posts on my blog but if they want, I would be more than happy to send information directly to them. God bless you, Miss Ellen E.

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Ellen!! Thank you so much for the nice message! I never thought I would make a blog, but I see it as a great way to evangelize and connect with fellow Catholics. Be sure to keep in touch and I will keep you and your family in my prayers!

Blessings,

Katie