Sunday 3 January 2010

Some chores are fun . . .


As in many households, I imagine, we seem to have amassed quite a collection of empty bottles over the Christmas period, not that we've had any parties as such and there were just 6 of us at home for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Nevertheless, we were running out of worktop space so something had to be done to remedy the situation.

I always find there's not much point in rushing to the bottle bank on 27th December as you can almost guarantee you'll find it overflowing and surrounded by boxes, bags and other containers full of empties.

So today was the day selected. A beautiful crisp winter's day; ideal for a little 'stroll with a purpose'!

The Pater Familias was off doing something energetic in the sporting line involving a racquet and shuttlecock so Number One Son and I set off with a large carrier bag in each hand and had a very enjoyable walk. As soon as we had offloaded the bottles, just about 5 minutes' walk away, we backtracked and made our way to the nearest coffee shop which is open on a Sunday afternoon to enjoy our reward.

The chap in the photo above was very curious about these two strangers walking past his field. He obligingly posed for his photo though I felt rather mean as we had no treats between us that we could give him.

Now, the big decision this evening is, as remarked upon by Victor in his comment on my post yesterday . . . Do we begin to take down the decorations now as we've celebrated the Feast of the Epiphany at Mass today, or do we wait until 6th January?

As I've mentioned before, we'll be leaving the crib up until the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord but maybe we'll just begin to tidy a few of the other things away.

5 comments:

Baby Brother said...

You could take your time, 3 days to take them all down.

Catholic Student said...

Well... as you've asked for my opinion you shall get it!

Leave them up until the 6th January; a certain priest I was having a conversation with yesterday agrees with me and is keeping most of his up until the 6th...

Idle Rambler said...

Thanks BB and Catholic Student. As it happens, I haven't had time to take any decorations down yet anyway so it looks like it will be 6th. I decided to watch Hercules Poirot last night instead!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Well ... I decided to continue to be old-fashioned. My decorations are still up there for all to see. And the Christmas lights are still on shining brightly - not many in our street have their lights still on. I will keep the lights on until midnight on the 6th.

Old fashioned - yes, that's my New Year resolution!

Idle Rambler said...

Well done Victor! Tree and crib still up here too. Our neighbours seem to be split 50/50 judging by the outside lights :)