Tuesday 5 January 2010

I'm hibernating!


Looking at the weather forecast and the freezing temperatures which apparently are with us for the rest of the week, I've decided the best option is to hibernate.

Well, if it's good enough for Yogi Bear and Boo Boo (showing my age again!) it's certainly good enough for me.

Tomorrow is my day off and luckily I don't need to leave the house unless I want to. I thought I'd better do a bit of research and find out what preparation is needed as it's not something that we humans are used to doing . . .

'Some animals hibernate over the winter, going into a very deep sleep.'

OK, that sounds easy enough.

'Hibernating animals usually retreat to a den, a burrow, or a hollow log for protection and shelter.'

Do you think snuggling under a duvet counts?

'During "true hibernation," the animal's body temperature drops, and its rate of breathing slows down. These hibernating animals are very difficult to awaken.'

Oh-oh! I do have to go to work on Thursday. Is there something else I could try?

'Most animals will eat large amounts of food before hibernating, adding body fat that will nourish them during the winter.'

Oh, I think I could manage that if I tried really hard! I've still got loads of Christmas choccies to get through before Lent begins.

'Occasionally, hibernating animals will awaken periodically during the winter to eat. When most hibernating animals awaken in the spring, they are very hungry.'

No problem. I'll just keep a few Lindt treats by my bedside, just in case.

'Some animals are not "true hibernators," but they do become dormant over winter or go into diapause. For example, during cold winter months, some bears go into a dormant state in which their heart rate is extremely low, their body temperature is relatively high, . . . . and they can be roused.'

Perfect! That's it! I'll go into 'diapause'. It sounds just the job. See y'all on Thursday!


Information courtesy of Enchanted Learning.

No comments: