Wednesday 6 January 2010

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening . . .

'Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening' . . . One of those poems that you learn at school and are stuck in your mind for ever . It felt just like that going for a walk this afternoon.
The poor old birds on our local pond were struggling find a bit of unfrozen water.
Lovely Christmas card shots for next year!
The entrance to our road on the way home. I don't think I'll be driving to work tomorrow, somehow.

No, dear reader, you're quite right . . . my hibernation didn't last long after all. I suppose we humans are not really cut out for it. It sounded like a good idea but I couldn't resist wrapping up and going out for a walk in all that beautiful unspoilt snow I could see from the window.

I'm sure it won't be so much fun tomorrow when the reality of not being able to get from A to B really sinks in.

I expect everyone is writing 'snow posts' today but the scenery is so beautiful it demands it.

4 comments:

Baby Brother said...

Nice pics. Would have been nice to go for a walk rather than drive a bus round on the ice! As the afternoon wore on the route got shorter and shorter as more roads became too slippery.

Idle Rambler said...

BB
Oh dear, I definitely don't envy you that! My car is stuck in the garage and that's where it's going to stay until there's a big improvement in the the road conditions. I did walk into work today - made it in about an hour which isn't bad for a journey of at least 2 1/2 miles, I think, as the side roads are still very bad.

Baby Brother said...

I don't have to drive today, and the roads round here are passable anyway. To be honest I think the closure of some bus routes was a bit over the top, they were passable with extreme care, but some drivers are just not used to ice and snow. I only had a few "ABS moments" and they were at very low speeds when pulling in to kerbs, most of the time it was perfectly safe at about 15 - 20 mph out in the middle of the road.

Anonymous said...

Hi just back and had a look at your blog. Beautiful pics of the snow. Trust you were o.k. during that time.
You did well to walk to work!