Thursday 30 September 2010

Douai Abbey . . .


It's not just buses that all seem to come along together after a long wait.

Now, I like a quiet life. Not for me the rushing around trying to squeeze 48 hours' worth of activity into a 24 hour day.

I've been looking forward to our annual retreat ever since it was booked a while ago. We're going with the rest of our Team to Douai Abbey for a weekend retreat.

However, this weekend also sees the return of Our Eldest from his pilgrimage to Oberammergau for the Passion Play; the return of the Pater Familias from a short business trip to India and the 'return to the nest' of Our Youngest after 8 years solid 'student-ing'.

Why could these things not be spread out over a few weekends, I ask myself, so that I can give each of them the attention they deserve?

Never mind. I know that despite all the rushing around on Friday evening getting ready for the returnees, as soon as we draw up in front of the Abbey on Saturday morning, all the cares of the world will slip from our shoulders.

That, for me, is what a retreat is all about. A time, even if only a brief one, to 'retreat' from the world and spend some concentrated 'quality time' with Our Lord in prayer and reflection.

We have been making an annual retreat like this as a couple for many years now and we always come away refreshed and renewed, ready to enter the real world with recharged batteries.

Definitely to be recommended.

I'll see you all next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May you have a prayerful and relaxed retreat , God bless .