Wednesday 8 September 2010

From a wife's perspective . . .


I wanted to write a few words about the news buzzing around the blogosphere at the moment that not one, but two Anglican clergymen have recently decided that they are ready to 'come home' to the Catholic Church. What a courageous decision they've both made.

The inimitable Mac has beaten me to it but I too had noticed the existence of the marvellous blog I have a snail in my pocket by the already-Catholic wife of one the clergyman - Robin Farrow.

To give up so much for your faith is a very courageous thing indeed. We don't often hear much about the wives of the clergymen in these situations. It must be very difficult for them too and if their husbands eventually become Catholic priests, they are also among a very small minority. Catholic priests with wives and children are still something of a rarity whilst the role of 'Vicar's wife' is something we are all familiar with even though I'm sure there is no such thing as a typical Vicar's wife. As a former Anglican myself, I know that each of the wives of the vicars I have known have each interpreted their role differently as in any other walk of life.

I realise I've been rambling on a bit. The main thing I wanted to say was a very warm welcome to both Robin Farrow (read more here) and Giles Pinnock (more here) and be assured of prayerful support from all your Catholic friends.

2 comments:

Dominic Mary said...

Amen to that . . . and a warm and prayerful welcome to them both !

Anonymous said...

I am over the moon.....how silently the Lord works and how mysterious are His ways. They will find a warm welcome wherever they settle.