Saturday 28 March 2009

Earth Hour ...

I was just checking my Facebook updates whilst waiting for the supper to cook (the way you do) when I noticed my niece in Australia had referred to the imminent approach of 'Earth Hour.'

Maybe I've had my head in the sand (quite likely) but I couldn't think what on earth (sorry, unintentional pun) she was talking about. Must be some 'yoof' activity I thought, no wonder I don't know what it is.

Naturally I can hear you all saying, 'don't you remember, that was started in Sydney two years ago by green campaigners keen to cut energy use?'

Of course 'Auntie' came to the rescue. Here's a video that explains all:


I don't think we'd notice in our little backwater. There aren't a great many illuminated landmarks visible from our house.

If you happen to be in sight of any of these buildings, however, you might like to be reassured that they haven't all suffered from a sudden power-cut - it's intentional: Edinburgh Castle, St Peter's Basilica, the Eiffel Tower, the Egyptian Pyramids or New York's Empire State Building.

Good luck to them anyway. I think it's a good idea to make us realise what life would be like if we had to restrict the use of electricity.

2 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

We did this last year. I quite enjoyed it, sitting by candlelight for an hour!

This year of course, I forgot all about it!

Baby brother said...

I knew nothing about it in advance either. Of course it was mentioned on Ceefax news that it had happened. Shame they didn't mention it in advance.