Monday 23 March 2009

Manchester and back ...

We had a great weekend in Manchester. The journey up was one of the best we've ever had - no traffic problems at all and lovely sunny weather most of the way.


We had a bit of trouble finding St Mary's (the Hidden Gem) for Mass on Saturday evening and missed the opening prayer (I hate being late for Mass!).

Even though we've been there several times now, we don't know the city well enough to find the church easily from wherever we manage to find a space to park. You wouldn't believe how many people we asked and nobody had a clue (and they weren't ALL strangers either - I was thinking, 'look for middle-aged women to ask - they're the most likely to know!').

I used to think Manchester was a stronghold of Catholicism! In the end a young couple (Eastern European judging by their accents) who had seen us approaching several people and getting further and further away from the church incidentally, took pity on us and said if we were going to Mass at the church so were they and so we followed them.

I must say it is very well named - the HIDDEN Gem!

After a lovely Mass we met up with number 2 son and went to the Curry Mile for a fantastic curry and a lovely relaxed evening together chatting and catching up with one another's news.




On Sunday we went for a good long walk at Chorlton Water Park - so many energetic people - I think half of Manchester was out running on Sunday morning. We didn't want to go too far out of town as we were going for lunch in the city centre at Malmaison - another success.


Sad to say farewell but hopefully it won't be too long before it's our son's turn to make the journey home down South for a weekend.

The journey back was a bit busier (everyone returning from visiting their mothers on Mother's Day perhaps?) but we still managed it in about 4 hours driving time which is quite good.

Back to normal today and catching up with washing and ironing etc. It's amazing how being away for just two days can make you so behind with the chores, isn't it?

2 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

Glad you had a good time! I'm going to the Hidden Gem on Thursday. How do you feel about the Stations? Personally I wouldn't give them houseroom, but maybe that's just me....!

Idle Rambler said...

Yes, I can't say they are my taste either. I might appreciate them more in a very modern church, or an art gallery but I'm glad we have very traditional Stations in our parish - I can't imagine 'praying' the Stations in front of these.