Friday 30 October 2009

Basic hygiene, surely, Frank? . . .

Sorry, I've been quiet on the blog for a while. I've been busy but also haven't felt inspired to comment on anything recently for some reason.

Today, however, I thought, 'now what shall it be? Two bits of news concerning Cardinal Cormac - firstly his lecture on ARCIC and the progress of ecumenism in general, or perhaps, secondly his important appointments in Rome?'

But no, what caught my imagination was something Frank Skinner mentioned in passing in the Times Online today.

Talking about the reappearance of health warnings regarding swine flu and the warning to footballers to stop the disgusting habit of spitting on the football pitch (oh, how I dislike this!), he then moved on to talk about the withdrawal of the chalice at Holy Communion in his own parish as a precaution against swine flu. We have carried on as normal in our parish with Holy Communion under both species and I must admit I haven't notice the congregation decimated by swine flu.

That's not, however, what I was referring to earlier. It was his reference to not usually bothering to wash his hands after visiting 'the little boys' room' - for want of a more delicate expression.

I would just like to say, it's not just about what germs you might pick up Frank, it's also about what you might spread to others .

I must remember, in the highly unlikely event that I ever bump into Frank Skinner just after he's been for a 'comfort break' (gosh, you could write a whole post on euphemisms for visiting the loo!) that I must avoid shaking his hand or accepting any food he might offer in his unwashed hands!!

I do enjoy reading his very down-to-earth comments though.

1 comment:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

A miscellany of reflections indeed. Thanx for the post.

Regarding spitting - I feel it is something that the football authorities can easily stop. After all, you don't see rugby players spitting. Or tennis players, cricket, golf or other outdoor sports.

As for the swine flu - in our church they first withdrew the Chalice of wine and only gave Communion in the hand. They asked us not to shake hands when we exchange the sign of Peace, and they withdrew the Holy Water at the church door. Then they changed their minds and re-introduced the Chalice of wine, and some people shake hands for the sign of Peace whereas others just nod politely.
The Holy Water has still not been re-introduced. Communion is given in the hand and on the tongue.

This has left the flu virus totally confused and it has left us to infect other more organised people.