Saturday 3 October 2009

The things people say . . .

Sometimes I'm struck by the slightly amusing and misleading expressions I hear used by fellow-parishioners.

I don't know if it's peculiar to our parish but I suspect not. Have you ever played the game 'Pictionary'? It involves someone drawing a picture and the opposing person or team having to guess what phrase or expression the drawing is supposed to represent.

How about this one?

At the risk of sounding like Rolf Harris, 'do you know what it is yet?'

Some people I know when talking about going to Mass have a habit of saying, ' I took Mass at St John's (or St Joseph's or whichever church they attended for Sunday Mass.) Am I the only one who finds this odd? Just where are they taking the Holy Mass to, I wonder and how are they able to transport it?

Here's another one. When our children had just celebrated their First Holy Communion and were thinking about becoming altar servers, several of the other mothers would say something along the lines of, 'Oh, I do like to see my son on the altar'.

The picture above is my version of the image this has always conjured up in my head when I hear this. It still makes me smile when I hear it.

Does anyone else have any other similar expressions that make them smile, I wonder?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you make me laugh, and I'v heard someone say 'I took Confession' at the Cathedral. You will also hear Fr took a lovely service last Sunday, two other visiting priests were 'on the altar' with him.

Autumn said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog, nice to meet another Convert in Blogland :¬)
I'm glad you decided not to give up blogging after all, I will enjoy keeping up with you.
Mrs.Pogle x