Wednesday 21 October 2009

Interesting statistics . . .

I'm the sort of person who finds a graphical representation of something a great help. If I see a picture of something I almost instantly 'get it'. Whereas if I'm faced with a long article, I often need to read it several times to understand it.

Of course we need both words and pictures to understand anything fully but whilst looking around the web today, I came across these pie charts in a BBC article and thought, 'now that's interesting' so I though I'd share them with you.


First of all the situation in the UK and Ireland:


. . . and the situation in the world:


I'm not trying to make a point, I just found it interesting to see it like this.

Update:
Following Epsilon's comments, she has since added her own charts and comments on her blog. Do go on over and have a look.

5 comments:

epsilon said...

Do you know, this image is so misleading that I made up a bar-chart (am a maths teacher:) last night to show just how misleading it is (but haven't uploaded it yet - will do asap!!)

It really rankles with me the way the BBC distort things under the guise of being "fair".

epsilon said...

I stumbled upon your post via Jackie's haircut- ROTFL as she would say!! I hadn't seen the chart for the UK and Ireland - even more distorted!!

Idle Rambler said...

Thank you for your comments, Epsilon.
If you're interested in seeing the article where I found the charts, follow the link
here

Idle Rambler said...

Opps, I've just realised I called these diagrams 'pie charts' and as Epsilon is a maths teacher, I thought I'd better correct that!

I'm not even sure if they're Venn diagrams but that's the nearest I can get to it.

epsilon said...

I know Miss Ellen - I saw them too and it's ridiculous! The worldwide Anglicans make up 1% of the total world population.
Don't worry I'm not going to rap you on the knuckles - I think we should just call them half-circles that are supposed to be in proportion to each other's area...