Saturday 20 March 2010

A cause for celebration . . .


I'm celebrating! This is where you ask me what I'm celebrating . . .

I'm celebrating that split-second of time after receiving Absolution when I was actually in a State of Grace. That infinitesimally small period of time when I was actually reconciled to God. Isn't Confession a marvellous Sacrament?

Of course, I'm sure we've all felt that feeling of the weight of sin being lifted from our shoulders and the sensation of 'floating on air' for a while. Sadly, it's all too short a period of time for me. But just for an instant, it's the most marvellous feeling in the world.

I don't know about you but sometimes this is more palpable than others and as today was one of those time, I felt moved to celebrate.

That's all I wanted to say. Back to normal now.

Update:
As Berenike has correctly pointed out, I am guilty of quite a large chunk of poetic licence here.

Obviously I should not have used the term being in a state of grace when really what I meant was being without sin of any kind. Reading my post again, it does make it sound as if I routinely leave the Confessional and almost immediately fall into mortal sin! I was trying to express in my inadequate way the feeling which comes with absolution; that feeling of having wiped the slate clean, of being completely without sin of any kind, even the smallest venial sin. A fantastic feeling, even if poorly expressed.

4 comments:

berenike said...

Do you really always sin mortally shortly after confession?!

Idle Rambler said...

well OK, maybe a bit of poetic licence there!

But hopefully people realise what I'm getting at-immediately after receiving absolution, that feeling of having wiped the slate clean and being totally without sin (of any kind) for a short time.

berenike said...

:)

Simon said...

split second? you make it sound like you walk straight out and punch someone :-P