Wednesday 17 March 2010

Quarant'Ore . . .


I'm very grateful to Dominic Mary of Libera me Domine not just for this super picture of the Quarant'Ore at The London Oratory but also for the encouragement to go along and take advantage of this great opportunity for prayer in such a beautiful church.

I'd been thinking I might use my day off to go up to Victoria and visit the Cathedral and nearby bookshops so his post just came at the right time for me.

I had a super day out. The weather has been so much kinder recently and it was great to walk around London without having to fight against a biting wind or driving rain.

I timed my outing just right. Setting off in my own time after the morning rush, I got to The Oratory in time for a good period of Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament and then was able to move to one of the side chapels for Mass (Novus Ordo, Ad Orientem, for those of you who are interested in this sort of detail) before making my way back to Victoria and on home. Naturally, there were also coffee-stops and window-shopping to fit in along the way!

There are so many situations and people that I wanted to pray for, it was great to have this chance today. Needless to say, I included all my blogging friends in those prayers.

It's not too late to go along yourself - the Quarant'Ore finishes tomorrow with Benediction at 7pm. For more information have a look at the Oratory website.



Westminster Cathedral was looking quite magnificent in the afternoon sunshine and the piazza was relatively quiet so I couldn't resist taking a photo. Sorry, I'm not proficient enough to be able to fit all of the tower in the picture without standing in the middle of the road!

5 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

The photo of The Cathedral brings back memories. I used to visit a lot when I worked near there.

Thanx for your prayers at The Cathedral.

I'll pray for you tonight. God bless.

Idle Rambler said...

Thank you for your prayers, Victor, always needed and always appreciated.

You were very fortunate to be able to visit the Oratory frequently when you worked nearby. Lucky you!

Fr Joseph OP said...

I was at the Oratory on Wednesday and there was a Mass being celebrated on St. Joseph's altar around 10.45ish. I'm not sure if you were there but if so, wow we could of said hi!

Idle Rambler said...

Oh, what a shame,CWA, I must have just missed you! I got to the Oratory just before 12 and the Mass I went to was at 12.30.

Next time, you'll have to stand under the clock with a red carnation in your buttonhole and a copy of The Catholic Herald under your arm! ;-)

Fr Joseph OP said...

ha ha! I was back in the Oratory around 1.15 with some students from my university. Most of them had never been before and were completely awestruck which we can both perfectly understand! :-)