Monday 15 February 2010

Have you been shriven yet?

Have you been shriven yet? Ever since I first learned about the origins of the term 'Shrove Tuesday' I have difficulty in not smiling when I think about it. It's not that there's anything particularly amusing about the meaning of the word, to have your sins forgiven; it's just the word itself. It always makes me think of that film, 'Honey, I shrunk the kids' I can just hear, 'Honey, I've shriven the kids'. It sounds as if it has something to do with shrinking.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. In common with many parishes, we usually have a penitential service in Lent to encourage as many people as possible to celebrate the Sacrament of Confession and it is usually well attended too. Most years this happens towards the end of Lent so that we are ready for the Great Feast of Easter. (Less time for backsliders like me to get into serious trouble again!)

Thinking again of the origins of Shrove Tuesday, I wonder whether people were expected to go to Confession again before Easter (6 weeks is a long time to avoid sin!) or whether they were just inspired to try extra hard during Lent having started with 'a clean slate' so to speak after being shriven before Ash Wednesday.

Or maybe, it was placed at this time because of the excesses of Mardi Gras!

Of course in this country, we don't have the tradition of Carnival or Mardi Gras in the same way as they have in some parts of Europe or Rio. Shrove Tuesday in the UK is very tame in comparison - after all what is wildly excessive about eating a few pancakes!!

Mind you, after a few pancakes and finishing off all the chocolates before Ash Wednesday I can see why it's called Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras)!

1 comment:

the mother of this lot said...

I am, as yet, unshriven. And what a good job it is too.