Wednesday 3 February 2010

Things that struck me . . .

Ever since I first read the text of the Holy Father's address to our Bishops on their ad Limina visit I've wanted to just make a few comments.

On first reading one or two points stood out for me and I thought I'd just mention those. A bit like when meditating on a text in Lectio Divina and some word or phrase comes to mind, I was struck by the following:

If the full saving message of Christ is to be presented effectively and convincingly to the world, the Catholic community in your country needs to speak with a united voice.

Naturally this makes sense and surely no reasonable person could argue with this statement.

Why then, do we find even within our country and within our dioceses, deaneries and even parishes there sometimes seem to be several different 'voices' claiming to represent the truth? It's no wonder that some of us are confused, if one source of authority says one thing and in another place, one hears a completely different interpretation of the truth.

Make it your concern, then, to draw on the considerable gifts of the lay faithful in England and Wales and see that they are equipped to hand on the faith to new generations comprehensively, accurately, and with a keen awareness that in so doing they are playing their part in the Church's mission.

This to me is about catechesis. How can we pass on the faith 'comprehensively and accurately' if that same faith has not been taught comprehensively in the first place. There are many gifted lay people, parents, teachers and others who are in a position to help our children in the development and understanding of the faith, and who are keen to do so but they find themselves lacking the understanding themselves as a result of poor catechesis when they were young. Hopefully this is an encouragement to look critically at catechetical schemes used in schools and parishes and to ensure that our children are 'equipped to hand on the faith' to the next generation.

It is important to recognise dissent for what it is, and not to mistake it for a mature contribution to a balanced and wide-ranging debate.

And here's the crux of it:

It is the truth revealed through Scripture and Tradition and articulated by the Church's Magisterium which sets us free.

There's no argument here. This is it. Recognition of this truth is a sign of our spiritual maturity.

And a final point that struck me:

Help them (the lay faithful) to avoid any temptation to view clergy as mere functionaries but rather to rejoice in the gift of priestly ministry, a gift that can never be taken for granted.

Our priest is not just someone who is there for baptisms, weddings and funerals; to visit the sick and celebrate the sacraments. We sometimes need to be reminded that 'Father' is among us as 'alter Christus'. When you really think about it, it is quite an amazing privilege for all of us and one that I know I am guilty of sometimes taking for granted.

Pope Benedict's address covers so many important areas, I could go on and on but I think I've probably said more than enough! Please excuse my unscholarly efforts. I am just an ordinary Catholic in the pew, and a convert at that, so I'm certainly no authority!

No comments: