Monday 8 February 2010

That Tebow ad . . .

For any of you (like me) who are not into Football (NFL) as opposed to 'soccer' as the Americans call it, here is the much hyped 'Tebow' advert shown before the Superbowl game yesterday.

I know I expect a lot people know zilch about American Football (well, believe me, you can't know less than me!), and to a British audience this looks really 'cheesy' but on the other hand, can you imagine a Pro-Life advert being given air time in the middle of the FA cup final, the Six Nations or The Ashes?

Of course there is not any obvious reference to the Pro-Life movement in the advertisement itself - it's all very 'squeaky clean' but to most Americans, I would imagine, due to the publicity beforehand they would have been well aware of the fact that Tebow's mother had ignored the advice of doctors to have an abortion when pregnant with Tebow and living overseas at the time. This would be enough to endorse the Pro-Life message, I think. Plus of course the 'Focus on the Family' credit at the end.

I couldn't bear to post the ad that actually ran during the game which was similar to this but had a different ending when the miracle baby, Tim (Tebow), tackled his 'Mom' bringing her to the ground. It just doesn't translate well to British audiences, I feel, (at least not to this particular Briton!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the Superbowl, but I did write to the network to allow this ad to air. Last superbowl they refused to air a "pro-life" ad because it would be too controversial. We didn't let them get away with ignoring us this time. Here's the one they refused to air last time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GVwZ9N650

Idle Rambler said...

Thanks for the link, Katie. I hadn't seen that video before. I can see why it was considered too controversial. Maybe if it hadn't been the US president, it might have been aired? A more pro-life subject?
This year's ad was certainly tame in comparison but then again, 'start small' is a good motto. At least it was shown.

Anonymous said...

You're right- if we gotta start small, then we gotta start small. I love the ad for last year because it's proving that we're not out there hating, we want to change hearts, even the heart of our president (God willing!)